Nature Art & Culture
View of the farmhouse, with the town Civitella Marittima and Mount Amiata in the background
The Agriturismo Poggio Macinaio, immersed in the beautiful countryside of the Maremma hills, is an excellent starting point for visiting the nature, history and culture of this land, centrally located between the Tyrrhenian coast, Mount Amiata and Siena.
Nearby places of interest
The natural reserve of the Farma river: a territory so intact from a naturalistic point of view and consequently rich in numerous fauna such as deer, roe deer, foxes, porcupines, kestrels, buzzards …
Petriolo’s hot springs, with their sulphuric and therapeutic waters (43°C), have both free entrance at the hot springs and exclusive thermal baths and beauty treatments.
The Sassoforte mountain, 800m hight, offers incredible wiews as far as Siena and the sea with the islands of Giglio, Elba, Montecristo and Corsica. On its slopes, among the beech trees the ruins of a medieval castle can be seen.
I Canaloni on the Farma river, an ideal place for a swim in fresh water between waterfalls and natural pools.
A few kilometres away
- Massa Marittima medieval town
- The etruscan towns of Roselle, Vetulonia.
- Medieval abbeys: S.Galgano, S.Antimo, S.Rabano.
- Towns and medieval castles: Roccatederighi, Roccastrada, Montemassi, Porrona, Sassofortino, Montepescali…. .
- The wine hight way: Monteregio, Montecucco Brunello
- Lake of Accesa: spring water
- Mount Amiata (WWF wildlife reserve – 1800m o.s.l.)
- The historical city of Siene
A 40-45 minutes drive away
- Montalcino, Pienza and the Crete Senesi
- The beaches at Follonica and Castiglione della Pescaia
- The Uccellina Park (Maremma Natural Park )
- The etruscan towns of Populonia and Cosa